No this is not an intervention. Actually, it is a book tag that I saw over on Drizzle & Hurricane Books! What’s really funny is that I was reading her post, expecting it to be another amazing discussion (guys seriously, if you aren’t familiar, you NEED to check out her discussions. There is a reason why I almost always include at least one of them in my favorite reads wrap-ups) when I found myself answering the questions along the way. I was like “wow, this is perfectly formatted to feel like a survey” and then I realized that was because it was in fact a tag…ANYWHO, clearly we all harvest a slight addiction to books otherwise why else would we be here? Keep scrolling to see just how “serious” my addiction is!
1) What is the longest amount of time you can comfortably go without picking up a book?
Truthfully, I don’t think I can go a day without touching a book. I mean I have been in some serious slumps where I don’t read for weeks, but I always am touching books. My bookshelf, at work. I find ways… that sounds uber creepy but it’s true. I can’t go one day without touching a book.
2) How many books do you carry on your person (or kindle) at any one time?
I always have at least one thing to read with me at all times. I have a bunch of books on my phone, as well as a number of audio books downloaded to my Audible app. That aside, I usually try to bring at least one physical book with me wherever I go. The number of books will depend on where I am actually going but yea I always have something to read on me at all times.
3) Do you keep every book you buy/receive or are you happy to pass them on to make space for more?
I definitely don’t “hurry” to get books off my shelf. If I really want someone to read something, I might even buy them their own copy before lending out my own. I do really need to scale down though in the next couple months…I may have a literal cross country move in the near future and deff not enough room for ALL my books.
4) How long would you spend in a bookshop on a standard visit?
I think I could probably spend at least 30 minutes in a bookshop if I am there with no agenda. If I go because I want a very specific book, am there to pick up a birthday present etc., I CAN be in and out, though I hate when that happens…mostly.
5) How much time per day do you actually spend reading?
On any regular day? Unfortunately it is not a lot, maybe 20 minutes? But when I have a large chunk of time, and am in the mood to read (like today) woooo! I can read for hours. 2-3 maybe.
6) Where does the task ‘picking up a book’ appear on your daily to-do list?
As I mentioned, I usually at least pick up a book every day. It is a pretty high priority for my own sanity. But actually read a book? It ends up pretty low on the agenda, especially if it is a busy day at work, or if my fiance is home.
7) How many books do you reckon you own in total (including e-books)?
Oh, well over 100 I presume. Like I said, I am in need of a serious UNhaul in the coming months. I don’t have the strength, money, or space to lug all those books cross country.
8) Approximately how often do you bring up books in conversation?
I bring it up a lot. I know I do. I don’t even care anymore.
9) What is the biggest book (page count) you have finished reading?
Over 1000 thanks to Under the Dome by Stephen King.
10) Is there a book you had to get your hands on against all odds (i.e searching bookshops, online digging, etc.)?
I am really really really lucky to live in the US and have pretty great access to all kinds of books. The only one(s) I can think of that were a little harder to get my hands on are the 20th anniversary UK house editions of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone and Chamber of Secrets. And I guess Prisoner of Azkaban too since that comes out this June.
11) A book you struggled to finish but refused to DNF?
Most recently Hot Dog Girl by Jennifer Dugan! I fell instantly in love with with the cover and synopsis and bought it. It ended up being very different that what I thought it was supposed to be, and hated 98% of it. You can read my review of it here.
12) What are 3 of your main book goals for 2019?
I am with Drizzle & Hurricane here; I just don’t want to set myself a whole lot of reading goals this year with everything that is going one but here are some rather vague ones for the sake of this question.
- My Goodreads Goal started at 75 books but I quickly realized that was not ideal, especially with planning my wedding and potentially moving. So as of right now, it sits at 60 which I am much happier with.
- I definitely went into this year trying to curb my buying habits. I have SO MANY books on my physical TBR that it scared me into trying my best NOT to buy any more. I also participate in the Beat the Backlist challenge in order to help encourage getting some of those titles read.
- I want to really find a comfortable review format this year. I have been playing and tweaking it for a bit now but my goal is to have one I love by the end of the year.
13) Have you ever had the privilege of converting someone into a reader (maybe via inspiration or incessant nagging)?
Sort of. My best friend was already a reader, but more of a casual one. I love that lately I have been recommending her books and she has actually been reading (and enjoying) them!
14) Describe what books mean to you in five words.
Think you’re addicted to books? Take this quiz to find out!